With the warmer weather comes grilling season and therefore an increased chance of fires. According to the National Fire Protection Association, on average 8,900 home fires are started by grills each year. These type of fires peak in July, followed by May, June, and August. The following are some tips to help keep this type of fire from happening to you.
- Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors
- They should be placed away from the home or deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches
- Children and pets should be at least three feet away from the grill area
- Clean your grill regularly
- Never leave your grill unattended while cooking
- Check regularly for gas leaks
- Don't move the grill once it is lit
- Wait until the grill is cooled before storing or covering
Should your house catch on fire due to a grill, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Burlington. We are available 24/7 to respond to your home and can help get your property back to pre-fire condition.