After a Winter Storm
Winter storms can cause a lot of damage. Once it is safe to do so you should check your property to see if anything needs repaired before it becomes a bigger problem. Following is a list of what you should check for possible damage.
1. The Roof- Winter storms can do a lot of damage to your roof. Repair any leaks found to prevent a complete roof replacement. Also make sure that your roof has no loose or missing shingles.
2. Attic- After checking the roof you should check to attic to make sure you didn't miss any openings in the roof.
3. Gutters- Ice dams can pull gutters away from the roofline.
4. House Exterior- Cold and snow can do a number on the outside of your house and can result in peeling paint if left long enough. If paint has peeled enough it can cause moisture to begin to infiltrate which can then cause the wood to begin rotting. It's recommended to repaint your exterior in the spring to help prevent these problems.
5. Foundation- Water can collect in cracks and then when the temperature goes below freezing that water will freeze and cause the cracks to widen. Repairing this in the spring can help prevent more problems from developing.
6. Trees- Storms can knock down tree limbs which has the potential to take out power lines and damage siding.