What You Can Do to Prevent Mold In Your Home
1. Check your home for problem areas
- Find out where your problem areas are such as; does your basement flood? Do you notice frequent condensation on windows? Etc. Fixing these problems may cost some money upfront but can help in preventing future mold problems.
2. Prevent Moisture with Proper Ventilation
-Vent appliances such as your clothes dryer and stove to the outside instead of the attic or crawl space. Also use AC units and dehumidifiers but make sure that you clean and inspect them regularly
3. Monitor Humidity Indoors
-The EPA recommends keeping indoor humidity between 30 and 60 percent. You can use a moisture meter to check the humidity. Also pay attention to condensation on windows, pipes, and walls.
4. Direct Water Away From Your Home
-Water can collect at your foundation and seep into your basement if it isn't properly sloped away from the house
5. Keep Mold Off Household Plants
-Adding Taheebo tea to the water you give your houseplants can help hinder mold growth. This can be found at natural food stores.
6. Check Your Crawl Space
-Wall to wall vapor barriers should be installed over the ground and up sidewalls to 6 inches below floor joists. By doing this you can trap the moisture in the ground.
7. Call a Professional
If you suspect you have a mold issue and the job is too big for you to handle call SERVPRO. They can remediate the problem and give you peace of mind that your family's health won't be affected by allergens and irritants.