With the holiday’s fast approaching be aware of what a protein fire can do.
Protein fires create an especially unique restoration challenge. Damage caused by burnt food can also create odor issues which are difficult to mitigate. Here is some important information regarding this type of fire.
- Protein fires generally leave little visible residue, often confusing the untrained observer.
- They create a significantly more repugnant smell than most other fires.
- The nature of the burn causes the odor to permeate structure and furniture even more completely than other fires.
- Requires extremely thorough cleaning to remove the odor
- They sometimes require a sealing agent or even repainting to completely eradicate the odor.
- May require multiple attempts and methods to achieve customer satisfaction.
It is also important to recognize that perception of odor is highly individual. There are no tools available to “measure” smell, and as a result, a homeowner may perceive odors that technicians or even neighbors cannot. The strong link between smell and memory, a homeowner may experience “phantom odors” where the memory of the event causes reproduction of the odor even after thorough cleaning.
SERVPRO of Burlington’s technicians have the proper training and equipment to mitigate the fire damage and make it smell like new. Have a safe and happy holiday season!