Getting your Home Winter Ready
Although we are still in the fall season it’s never too early to think about getting your home winter ready. The following tips will help you prepare to ready your home for when that cold and blustery winter weather arrives.
- Check your home’s heating and air conditioning system- It is recommended to change your filter at this time so your furnace can continue to run smoothly.
- Caulk around windows and doors- If the gaps between siding and window or door frames are bigger than the width of a nickel, you need to reapply exterior caulk. Also, make sure to check the joints as well.
- Check your drainage- Check and make sure the soil around your foundation hasn’t settled. This can cause water to pool and eventually end up in your basement causing a bigger problem.
- Clean your gutters- Once your trees are pretty much free of leaves tend to your gutters. A clogged gutter can cause any moisture such as rain and snow to run down the side of your home, speeding up the deterioration of your exterior.
- Clean your chimney and order firewood- Keeping your chimney and vents clean with help prevent chimney fires and also helps to prevent carbon monoxide from creeping into your home.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors- Now is a good time to change those batteries to ensure they are in good working order.
- Drain outside faucets- If there is no water in the lines than you won’t run into the issue of them breaking and causing an even bigger problem.
- Last but certainly not least, restock winter essentials such as salt or ice melt.